Saturday, October 6, 2012

A Little Hex-Crazy

My grandmother, Mrs. P., was a woman much endowed with the creative genius. And she knew it! She painted murals for her church. She wrote and illustrated original stories for her children. She painted and sculpted. She baked. And she sewed. She sewed us marvelous English-paper-pieced quilts with scraps of fabric that were not only warm, but endlessly entertaining too. I still have mine, tucked away somewhere. The thread has started to eat through some of the fabric, so it needs some TLC.

I wanted to try it out for myself, and a couple of YouTube videos later, I was hooked. It's easy, it's fun, and it doesn't take a lot of work before you start to see the whole thing coming together! This video taught me how to cut hexagons quickly and efficiently.

This is my first project, my learn-as-you-go project,  and I started with this quintessentially English robin fabric. I chose the other 2 fabrics to complement it. Whaddaya think?


 
The plan is to make 5 rows in total: 3 bird and 2 orange. It'll be a cozy lap-quilt size once it's all done. 

 
And pardon a crafter's pride, but I kinda like the back too. It's a warm, fuzzy feeling to know that I hand-stitched this! (Don't worry, I'm not crazy. I'll use the machine for the backing.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message! I read and appreciate every single one. (To keep this blog a friendly, positive place, I will delete any comments with personal attacks or objectionable content.)