Sunday, January 27, 2013
WIP: Baby Blanket
It's always a tricky thing, choosing colours when you don't know if the wee one's a boy or a girl. Originally, I was going to go with cream, much like the original. (Check out the pattern, by One Little Rayndrop; it's simple, and beautiful in its simplicity.) But my yarn store only had 3 more balls of cream, so I bought those...and then 8 balls of Pier, a sea-foamy light blue.
My dimensions are bit off from those in the pattern since I don't have the patience to test for gauge. I used Rowan Pure Wool DK in Pier and a 6mm hook. (I don't have this size in my favourite brand with the comfy handle...I miss that handle!) I also decided to increase the number of rows from 53 to 55. Ok, I didn't decide anything. I miscounted, and then didn't want to rip out the last two rows. It took about 5 balls to finish, so I have 3 left over to play with.
One note on the pattern: It's not terribly specific on how to stitch the border once you get to the sides (i.e. the long part of the double crochets). I made each scallop (ch 3, 2 dc) into the post of each dc, and then slip stitched into the very next post and made the next scallop around that same post. Refer to the picture below; you'll see what I mean.
This blankie came together in 2 days or so. I started as soon as I got home from the shop and finished it off the next day. So today I'm showing you a work that is not in progress any more, but has rather progressed to the finish!