Monday, February 18, 2013

Wise Little Owl

I get to make a gender reveal cake for a colleague, and I'm pretty sure the only people who are more excited than I am are the parents! So I broke out the gum paste and gave modelling a try today.

 
(I used the whisk's handle as a rolling pin. Time to buy a wee fondant/gum paste rolling pin.)
 
So after a bit of colouring and re-colouring, shaping and re-shaping (what's the secret to rolling spheres that don't crack?), I came up with this wee one:
 

 
I'm having to be very very careful about my pronouns here. This little owl's wings are purple, so as not to give anything away. It's just a prototype (I'm still toying with the idea of making the baby and the parents flat, like cookies) but it wasn't awful for a first try. It's a good thing the local Wallymart carries Wilton supplies, because I have a feeling there will be a few more prototypes before I'm happy enough with the result to use it on a cake.
 
 
Get ready to say hello to Baby Falk!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message! I read and appreciate every single one. (To keep this blog a friendly, positive place, I will delete any comments with personal attacks or objectionable content.)