Monday, December 31, 2012

On The Other Hand...

My apologies for the lack of posts lately. Report cards plus preparing for two Christmas concerts will do that to a soul. The hope was to get this out before Christmas, but...well, I don't want to save it for next year, so here it is!

* * *
On the one hand...
My plan to make a stack of table mats as Christmas gifts died. I was having trouble adjusting the tension on the sewing machine so that the bottom thread (red) doesn't show through to the top. And all the while, time is running out!
On the other hand...
I came across this post by Tea at Weasel's on Pinterest. If you click the first link and scroll down, you'll come across a picture of these star ornaments:


Scroll just a bit further, and you'll find this link to the pattern on Ravelry. It's a freebie!

They whip up in no time at all (my definition of no time = 10 minutes). They're sweet, and rustic, and beautiful. And they'll make great Christmas gifts. The idea is to do sets of six.

My colour sense is not what I wish it were, so the ladies at Wolsely Wool helped me out, pointing out the area of the store I'd most likely find the right weight of yarn in, and supporting me in my tentative colour choices. (It turns out there's a whole semi-secret annex at the back, roasty-toasty warm because of the old-school radiator heat, where even more yarn is stashed.) I settled on Rowan wool in a navy, an off-white, and a heathered version. As soon as I got home, I had to try it out. (Well, after gloating over my new yogurt maker, but that's another story for another time.)

Confession time: my centres aren't as cutely puffy as those of the original, pictured above. But I'm still pleased. They're Christmassy, and cute, and rustic (but not rusty) and handmade...check, check, check!


I even treated myself to a new hook. Never used one with a thicker handle before, but after an hour or two of use, I'm ready to declare that this. is. it. Soooo much easier to handle! (Get it? handle?)


Ended up packaging sets of 6 (2 of each colour) in a glassine baggie. Popped in 6 dollar-store ornament hooks, et voila! Merry Christmas, one and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message! I read and appreciate every single one. (To keep this blog a friendly, positive place, I will delete any comments with personal attacks or objectionable content.)